Week two of the new year, and things are moving along nicely. First, House and Fringe are both back on, No Reservations started strong in Panama, and I’m getting excited for the 8th season of 24 to start this Sunday. Oh Jack Bauer! Now, if only Stargate Universe wasn’t taking such a big break. Back to the food though;
- Mary, from The Tomato, mentioned on Chowhound that Le Gnome is closing it’s doors in West Edmonton Mall after being unable to come to reasonable terms. While always full of culinary goodies, tools, and gadgets, I rarely purchased items there. As disappointing as it may seem, the same items were always available elsewhere for less, sometimes considerably.
- With the opening of Five Guys Burgers and Fries in Medicine Hat last week, I’m hoping it just a matter of time before I’ll be cracking peanuts and enjoying their burgers here in Edmonton. If not, I’ll just go visit my friends down south and have a sample. Can you believe the first Five Guys in Canada opens in Medicine Hat?
- There was an article about food-blogs in the latest Bell Mobile magazine. Maybe I was hoping for more; I’m sure it’s great for those who don’t surf for food on a regular basis, as David Lebovitz and Homesick Texan aren’t exactly new to the world of foodies.
- “Totally void of flavor” “The sauce tastes like Ketchup” 50 years in, and Domino’s is remaking their pies. I think it takes a strong CEO to give in to the cardboard-like-crust complaints and then do something about it. Thumbs up for customer service.
- One of the best articles I stumbled across this week, was this Buffet Guide. Seriously amusing, it talks about everything from buffet type (Chinese, Sushi, American,Pizza) to buffet prep (clothes, workout) to getting the most out of the meal (high ticket items, trying new things) and then the after math (don’t be the driver or schedule things in the day). The guide is quite long, but have a gander and a laugh. I love when people write these articles.
- Ever found yourself wondering how many feet of noodles are in a bowl of Campbell’s chicken noodle soup? At least 32, and this man proved it. Crazy!
- A couple of months back, I noticed this butter dispensing machine at the local Cineplex. As it was late, past midnight, I started to wonder how busy this machine is during the regular movie rush. Trying to snap a picture during a recent 7 o’clock showing, provided my answer. This machine was never left alone for more than a few seconds with most people applying a 4-6 second pour. I was in awe, especially considering how unhealthy movie theatre popcorn is? Has anyone used this little dispenser?
Finally, did you get a chance to see Anthony Bourdain last night in Calgary? Thoughts?