Snow snow snow! Finally, we have a blanket of the white stuff in Edmonton. Pretty amazing to think it happened almost over night though. Time to dig out my mitts and start blueprinting my Christmas baking plans. Does anyone have a family baking tradition they wish to share?
- I noticed a few tweets about the upcoming 2010 Canadian Food Blog Awards (CFBAs), which are acknowledging excellence in online food and drink writing in Canada. The CFBAs are open to all food and drink blogs based in Canada. Public nominations will run from November 21st to December 21st, 2010.
- Edmonton Journal food writer Liane Faulder, who I talked with earlier in the year, is featured in Vue Weekly this week.
- Speaking of the Edmonton Journal, they’ve done a bang up job with a recent upgrade to the online food section. It’s a lot easier now to catch up on the various food happenings around our city.
- I was lucky enough to experience one of Chef Chris Mill’s practice runs as he prepared for his journey to the James Beard House. I don’t know where the time goes, but he is cooking tomorrow, “It’s a real thrill to be heading back to James Beard House for a second time,” says Mills. “I’m excited about the dinner, but also about sharing the adventure through our blog.”
- It looks like Brad Lazarenko’s idea for adding a Culina location within the Muttart has been accepted by the city. I can only hope they hijack some of that sweet climate controlled square footage for vegetable and herb growing. Look for a launch during the last half of December.
- Billingsgate Fish Co. is celebrating their 103rd anniversary Saturday, November 27. They will have samples and drinks from 10Am – 4PM.
- After visiting San Francisco in August, I have been drawn back to it by a recent spur of posts from Kim and Sherman in Vancouver. Follow along on their blogs for a bit of food awesomeness!
- With a Five Guys Burgers location in Medicine Hat and another recently opened in Calgary, will it be long before we see this hamburger joint come to Edmonton. Who’s going to be chugging the 1400 calorie large fry!
- 200 year old champagne..”yeast, honey and – dare I say it? – a hint of manure.” Where do I sign up.
- If the Double Down raised your eyebrow in its short one month stint, how about something like this Mr. Potato Head dish which only comes for one day.
- While sipping away on coffee at Da Capo with Miz J this week, she ordered a bowl of Chickpea Salad. Refreshing and health all in one.
- And if you haven’t had a chance to head over to Luzzara, I suggest going today for Free Cookie Friday. Seeing as you have to order a drink, why not make it a delicious hot chocolate!
Have a great weekend!