Oh Christmas Tree! Did you get your chosen holiday markers up. Sarah and I have slowly pulled the tree out from the box, but we still have to conquer the final touches. I don’t know about you, but it’s always nice to sit down at the end of the night, in the glow of Christmas lights. The combination of soft lighting, the flicker back and forth…so comforting. Anyways, on to the food!
- Elm Cafe announced they are expanding. After talking with Nate Box over this past year, I had a feeling it was just a matter of time before his ‘physical space’ would catch up with his visions. With only 200 feet, I’m sure Nate will put good use of the substantial increase in square feet. Congratulations!
- Kraft Canada has a great event going on. Called Recipe for Joy, you can send a friend/family member/stranger a recipe card from Kraft, and each time you do, $2 will be donated to Canada Food Banks. If you are looking for a list of some Edmonton Food Bank events, don’t forget about the list I posted.
- Michael, from Café Haven, mentioned to me that Café de Ville opened its Sherwood Park location this week. And speaking of Café Haven, they’ve adjusted their evening hours, so do check before you head down.
- I noticed that Vue Weekly had an article about the infamous door stop that is fruit cake. As I’ve never been a big fan, I can’t tell you enough about how I was won over by the recipe I ripened, and then froze earlier in the year for just this occasion.
- LOCAL Public Eatery, opened this week in South Edmonton Common, in the old OPM space. LOCAL Public Eatery is operated by the JOEY Restaurant Group, and the Edmonton location will be the third location for the brand. The first opened at Vancouver’s Kits Beach in November 2009, a second location opened in Medicine Hat in October, 2010. “Chef Chris Mills has taken a fresh approach to classic pub favourites such as nachos, calamari and burgers. The focus is on fresh, quality ingredients. The menu also includes a few favourites “stolen” from the OPM menu: Wok Fired Squid, Gyoza, Drunken Chicken and Seven Flavoured Beef. LOCAL also has a brunch menu which will be served weekends and holidays.”
- Taste Alberta South launched on Wednesday night in Calgary. If it was anything like the event gala event held last week, I bet it was tasty. That reminds me, I still need to get at that post!
- I might be a little behind when it comes to The Next Iron Chef contest, but I was pleasantly surprised to see Chef Marc Forgione take top honors. I mean really, who pulls of that meal without turkey! Now if only I could find a decent supply of caul fat around here.
- Sarah and I stopped by Santa’s Anonymous last Sunday for a bit of gift wrapping. We were lucky enough to be joined by her friend Heather, and just so happened to run into fellow blogger, Dr. Caso, who always brightens the day. It was a great experience to look through the bins of toys, and create the perfect little package.
- Jerry Aulenbach and I stopped in at LUX Steakhouse + Bar for a little chat with Chef Andrew Cowan. During our off-the-menu meal planning, Chef Cowan whipped out one of the most amazing ice creams I’ve ever had. Even if you remove the bacon, this ice cream was decadent beyond believe. A few two many scoops of this would play havoc on the belly.
- I stopped back for another visit to Moroccan Cuisine. For whatever reason, I was once again out with Jerry, and we ordered the lamb couscous and ground beef & egg tagine. The lamb was succulent and combined with the raisins and onions, created a perfect meal. The ground meat, was actual meatballs, which were dry and over spiced. The egg, must have been dropped in near the end as it came perfectly cooked in the smokin’ hot clay. Not a bad place, but after 4 dishes, 2 have been good and 2 have not.
That’s all folks! Enjoy your weekend, and let’s go for a coffee!